Philip Sheppard’s new ballet

I’ve written a new ballet score for the wonderful Ballet de l’Opéra national du Rhin. It’s choreographed by Thomas Noone and is titled Many. I’m simply thrilled to have worked on this. Here are some excerpts from the piece: If you like it do download – you can do that by clicking on the files… but drop me a note to say hi! If you like my music I have some albums on bandcamp and iTunes. Here’s a press release from Faber Music;

In recent months, the name of UK composer and cellist, Philip Sheppard, has been very much in the media: a result of him having being commissioned to arrange and orchestrate all the national anthems for the London 2012 Olympics. He’s now recorded them all (205 in total!) with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. However, Sheppard has also found time to complete a 30-minute commissioned dance score for Barcelona-based choreographer, Thomas Noone.

It’s premiered in Mulhouse by Le Ballet de l’Opéra national du Rhin on 22 January 2012, later transferring to Colmar and Strasbourg (9 performances in total). Sheppard has an impressive track record in writing for dance and theatre, having worked with Akram Khan, Sylvie Guillem and Juliette Binoche in recent years. In January 2012 he joins Khan and Guillem for performances of his 2006 score to ‘Sacred Monsters’, in the Théâtre des Champs Elysées, Paris.

1. oorlab says:

lovely compositions. The build-up is strong, especially in Aperto.
    It would be interesting to learn how, where, with whom the tracks were recorded.

2. Francesc. says:

Thanks for your music, Mr. Sheppard. Really beautiful music. Actually, listening Bobby Fischer against the world as I type!

3. Ian Linn says:

Thank you Philip. I love your compositions. I sometimes play them at the end of a led meditation at the buddhist centre where I work.

4. Paul Ratcliffe says:

It there a chance of being able to purchase tracks such as “And what is left?”, “How deep is deep?”, “If there is a heaven”, and “concerto for Stuka bomber and orchestra”. Your bleaker, darker compositions are particularly fantastic.

5. Oooh, these are great, thank you! I never get tired of your music, it makes such a wonderful soundtrack to my running workouts! (Mostly use them to keep a steady pace, works very well…) Bought two of your albums so far and I plan on getting more eventually.

6. daniele says:

Lovely??? Is simple genial. Soul and strongness, dreams and philosopy, all mixed in this 2 diamonds piece of music!

7. minoche says:

Hi, actually heard the music during the live performance last saturday in Colmar…
    Personally, it’s my favorite moment of the show. The Ballet used the music perfectly. After that, it was hard to appreciate as much the last episode of the show.
    Anyways… just stopping by to say that I was moved, and to thank you for that !